What to Expect If You Are Involved in a Rideshare Accident
Although we don’t like to think about this when we use rideshare services (i.e. Uber), there are unfortunate occasions when an accident occurs. If you are involved in a rideshare accident, you may be in shock and unsure of what to do, but if you can, you should proceed just as you would in a typical auto accident. It is important to make sure you take measures to protect yourself legally if it becomes necessary.
The First Steps
Hopefully, if you are in a rideshare accident, it will be no more than a minor fender bender, but you still can’t be sure that you haven’t suffered any injuries that may manifest after the fact. Therefore, you must take the following steps to ensure your protection.
- Call 911. Even if you do not feel that you were hurt, you may have internal injuries. The proper authorities should be notified of the accident, and you should seek medical attention.
RELATED ARTICLE: Injured By a Drunk Driver? Here’s What You Should Do
- Take photos. If you need to file a claim or a legal case becomes necessary, you will want to have documentation. Take pictures of the scene, any vehicles damaged in the crash, and any visible injuries you have suffered.
- Gather information. Be sure to gather as much information as possible, including witness contact information, other drivers’ contact and insurance information, and the driver’s name and information.
You will have the legal burden of proof if you are injured in a rideshare accident, so there are certain measures you should take to assist in your case. Keep these tips in mind.
- Insurance companies do not want to pay, and if they must pay, they will pay as little as they can. Get a thorough medical evaluation that details your injuries, and do not accept a settlement. They will likely offer a low-ball settlement before you speak to an attorney, and if you accept it, it will be very difficult to recover more compensation.
- Social media. Avoid all social media until your case is resolved. Insurance companies will use any information you post, even photos of you participating in daily activities, to invalidate your injuries and deny you compensation.
Contact a Local Car Accident Attorney
You should reach out to an experienced, local car accident attorney to handle your case and get the most compensation available for your injuries. Personal injury lawyers know how to go up against the big insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve. If you have suffered injuries in a rideshare accident, call the professionals at Arthur Law Firm Co., L.P.A. today at (567) 280-5669 or click to complete our online form.