Hit by an Uninsured Driver: A Victim’s Guide
Car insurance is legally required in almost every state, including Ohio, because it is needed to cover the financial losses that result when a negligent driver causes a car crash. Without insurance, innocent drivers would have to shoulder their own costs – leaving them vulnerable to significant monetary losses from a single incident.
Unfortunately, not all drivers carry insurance, which can cause a variety of financial and emotional challenges for victims who are seriously injured in a car accident that wasn’t their fault. Fortunately, there are things you can do to prevent this from happening to you. The first step must be taken before you are in a crash. In fact, do this today:
- Contact your insurance agent for a no-cost policy review.
- Inform your agent that you want to be protected in the event of a crash with an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- Evaluate the coverage that is proposed, and opt for a level of protection that makes the most sense for you.
- If you do not have an agent, review your own policy by looking at the declarations page to see what level of protection your already have. Keep in mind that medical costs over the last several years have outpaced inflation to a significant degree, and there is no sign of slowing down.
Once you have the coverages in place that are right for you, breathe easier knowing you have protection. If you are involved in an accident with a driver that has no insurance, or minimal insurance, there are legal actions you need to take if you are injured. Depending on the severity of the accident and resulting damages, you may be able to pursue a claim under your own policy without affecting your insurance rates.
An experienced car accident attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options in a situation like this, and provide expert guidance throughout the claims process.
Importance of Gathering Evidence and Documentation
If you’ve been in an accident with an uninsured driver, it is incredibly important to gather evidence and documentation to support your claim. Doing so will help your car accident lawyer prove that the other driver was responsible for the accident, documenting your damages, as well as ensure that you receive the compensation you need to financially recover.
The following are some of the things you can do when gathering evidence and documentation:
- Take photos of the scene of the accident if you are able to, or ask eyewitnesses to take photos of any property damage or physical injuries sustained by either party.
- Exchange contact information with witnesses if possible. This information can be used by your attorney to support your version of events if liability is later contested.
- Retain copies of any medical bills and insurance paperwork you receive for the treatment necessitated by to the accident, including receipts for medications and anything else purchased to aid in your physical or emotional recovery.
- Keep a journal to document as much as you can remember about the car accident, including how it happened, when it happened, what you were doing before and after, what people said at the scene, and how your injuries impact your day-to-day life. This can be used to help you refresh your memory as to the pain and emotional distress you experienced during your recovery.
- Obtain estimates for any property damage caused by the accident, including repair costs for your vehicle or any items you had with you that were damaged.
- Retain doctors slips for any missed work, document the number of days you had to take off, and download copies of pay stubs or other proof of your income prior to the car accident that can be used to support your lost wage claim. This will help demonstrate your financial losses due to the uninsured driver’s negligence.
This evidence can help you build your case when seeking compensation from the uninsured driver.
The Benefits of Hiring an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer
Having an experienced car accident attorney on your side can be invaluable in a case involving an uninsured driver. A local personal injury attorney can provide you with legal advice and handle the paperwork associated with filing a claim against the at-fault party. Sorting through the legal aspects of a case like this while you’re recovering from serious injuries can be very overwhelming, and it’s easy to make mistakes without an experienced attorney.
- Navigating Legal Complexities: Without legal experience, it can be difficult to understand the complexities of insurance law and personal injury law. An experienced car accident attorney can help you navigate these legal matters and provide advice on how to proceed with your case.
- Proving Liability: Proving liability can be one of the most difficult aspects of any car accident case. An attorney can help you assess the situation and determine who is liable for damages, whether it’s the uninsured driver or some other third party. An attorney can then advocate that position through various means.
- Identifying Additional Coverage: Your attorney can identify other sources of coverage that may be available to you, such as uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, medical payments benefits, or disability policies.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies are notoriously difficult to negotiate with. Your lawyer can help negotiate with the insurance companies involved in the case, ensuring that you receive a fair settlement.
- Maximizing Compensation: An experienced lawyer understands the value of different types of cases and can help you maximize your compensation.
- Legal Procedures and Deadlines: The legal procedures and deadlines in an uninsured driver case can be intimidating. Your attorney can help you understand these and take the necessary steps to ensure your rights are protected.
- Litigation Support: Unfortunately, not all cases can be settled out of court. If your case goes to trial, it’s crucial that you have an experienced litigation attorney who can provide you with legal representation through all aspects of a trial.
- Reducing Stress: Having an attorney by your side can help reduce the stress and anxiety associated with filing a claim against an uninsured driver. The last thing you want to worry about is navigating a complicated legal system while recovering from a serious car accident.
- Peace of Mind: Ultimately, working with an experienced attorney can give you peace of mind knowing that your case is being handled professionally and correctly.
- Fairness and Justice: At Arthur Law Firm, we understand the struggles that victims of uninsured drivers face, and we are committed to helping car accident victims receive fair compensation so they can move on.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation Today
Being seriously injured in a car accident that wasn’t your fault is overwhelming, especially if it was with an uninsured driver. You deserve a fair settlement, and we can help you. The car accident attorneys at Arthur Law Firm understand the complex legal issues you are facing, and we have successfully represented clients in similar situations. Call us right away (419) 782-9881 for a free consultation to learn more about how we can help get the compensation you need to fully recover.